BECOME A MEMBER
Become a member of a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and interpreting the rich history of Chippewa County . Membership dues help CCHS create programs and exhibits, support its historic building and provide programming and displays for the Water Street Historic Block.
The greatest benefit derived from membership in the CCHS is knowing that you are a part of a growing and rewarding movement of those who place great value on the reminders of our history and heritage and work to preserve them for future generations. In addition members:
- Receive the quarterly newsletter, which informs them of upcoming events, activities and acquisitions of the Society.
- Receive personal invitations to receptions and presentations recognizing various people and aspects of our local history.
- Individual – $20.00
- Family – $30.00
- Student – $10.00
- Senior – $10.00
- Contributing – $50.00
- Business/Corporate/Organization – $50.00
- Lifetime – $200.00+
- New Millennium – $1,000.00+
WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, the CCHS has many opportunities for members to volunteer their services that directly support the organization.
- Help in the Gift Shop.
- Help in the Office/Library
- Help at fundraising events (sidewalk sales, book sales, etc)
- Help with special projects (digitizing photo collection, accessioning collections, etc)
- Help with renovation projects at the CCHS building or Water Street Historic Block.
ATTEND AN EVENT
Your attendance at CCHS sponsored events is another way to support the organization. CCHS provides presentations approximately four times a year on a variety of historical topics and receptions or open houses for book signings or other special occasions.
PROVIDE REFRESHMENTS FOR AN EVENT
CCHS appreciates those members willing to provide refreshments for events held by the Historical Society. It is a simple but helpful way to assist us in providing an enjoyable event.
DONATE AN ARTIFACT
One of the goals of the Chippewa County Historical Society is to preserve the material history of the county. Thus, we collect items owned or used by county families, which shed light on the way they lived and worked. The artifact collections at CCHS consist of clothing, furniture, tools, recreational items, household utensils, and other items related to the life of county residents, past and present.
We generally accept only items with a known Chippewa County provenance or history. Due to storage issues, we are sometimes unable to accept large items.
Overall, considerations for acceptance into the permanent collection are:
- Chippewa County provenance
- Uniqueness of item to the collection
- Uniqueness of item in general
- Conservation and preservation requirements
- Social history: textiles, kitchen and housewares, tools, weapons, agriculture, recreation, and miscellaneous.
- Maritime and industrial items related to Chippewa County
- Decorative arts: furniture, glass and ceramics
- Historic photographs
Different policies may apply to donating photos, documents, and other archival material. Please contact CCHS for more information on the library and archive collection, or to inquire about donations.
Donations to the permanent collections are tax deductable. CCHS cannot provide appraisals of objects for tax purposes. Restricted donations cannot be accepted, nor does CCHS allow indefinite loans. Donations are made with the understanding that all rights and titles transfer to CCHS.
For more information on the CCHS object and archive/library collections, or if you have an artifact you would like us to consider for donation, please contact:
CCHS, P. O. Box 342, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
THE DATE PLAQUE PROJECT – Show pride in your home or business and its place in the history of Sault Ste. Marie.
- A 12 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ oval cast aluminum black background with gold letters and numbers. Two lines: “Built” and “Date”
- A 14 1/4″ x 10 1/4″ oval cast aluminum black background with gold letters and numbers. Three lines: “Built”, “Date” and a third line with room for up to 14 letters, numbers or symbols.
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, the Chippewa County Historical Society always appreciates donations that allow us to continue our efforts in preserving, interpreting, and sharing the history of Chippewa County and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan with all interested audiences. Financial assistance is always important to help us remain a solvent organization, able to continue our mission currently and in the future.
Ways you can help:
- End of the year gift.
- Building fund donation – Funds would be used to pay down the mortgage or for renovation projects to improve the building. The first phase of a Capital Campaign was conducted from 2006-2008 to start this fund.
- Sponsor a newsletter – Help pay for the printing or mailing costs of our newsletter which is mailed to members four times a year.
- Planned Giving – While we recommend that you consult legal counsel or your financial advisor before making any major financial decision, we offer the following options for you to consider:
Bequests – Through a bequest, you can make a gift of assets to CCHS through your will. A provision in your will that names the Society a beneficiary, of all or a portion of your estate, will assure that you will leave a meaningful legacy in support of our mission. If you already have a will, you may consider adding a bequest through a codicil, which is a change to an existing will.
Charitable Gift Annuities & Charitable Trusts – Through a charitable gift annuity or charitable trust, you retain an interest in the gift, with the remainder to be received by CCHS at a later time. There may be specific tax benefits to you and your estate in utilizing one of the planned giving tools in support of the Society.
Life Insurance – In the event that your life insurance policy no longer has the financial significance for your family’s financial security that that it once did, you may wish to consider donating the policy to the CCHS.
Cash – Cash donations are the simplest way to support CCHS. A cash donation can be made by cash, check or credit card. Your employer may offer a matched giving program.
Other Options – Appreciated Stocks and Real Estate.
Online– You can now donate directly from your credit card via a Paypal donation. Just click the button below and choose the amount you wish to contribute.